21 November 2010

Missed: Toro y Moi

Last night, I didn't feel like going to a show. The social energy of summer is gone. Maybe it has something to do with the disappointment of Friday, but I spent the prime hours of the evening removing an item from my Netflix cue: Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Around 11, I decided to go for a walk. It was a fantastic night, brisk without being cold, and basked in fog. My walk brought me towards the Bluebird, and I decided to check in on Toro y Moi. A few smokers and security types ambled around the front door, so I couldn't just walk in. I asked the lady at the box office if Toro y Moi was on soon. Come and gone she replied. Whose on now then? Nosaj Thing she said.

Apparently, a dj called Nosaj Thing headlined above Toro y Moi. I don't know who put that tour together, but they need to get their act together. Toro y Moi is a low ranked contender with at least one fantastic song, "Low Shoulder." Admittedly, I am not a rapturous fan of Toro y Moi--that's also part of my decision to pass on the show--but Nosaj Thing sounds like a focused 12 year old with a Casio and glue addiction. Their album, which Pfork deemed 7.9 (WTF), is called Drift. You don't say.

It might have been worth it, as voyeurism can be, just to see what the inside of the Bluebird looked and felt like. Were there actually people in the shadows huffing glue out of paper bags? I don't know, but that's the picture that comes to my head. I guess he would have spent some time daddling with remixes, but come on. There is a lot of music well suited for concerts.

No comments: