14 November 2010

Autumn Update #1

Somehow writing about Kanye made me stop blogging. Or it was work. Or vacation. But it was Kanye. He has been in the news ceaselessly for six months and in all that time he has not released a fully satisfying track, not managed to release his long delayed, still stupidly named new album. Sometimes I think I should blog music like Deadspin. Other times I know I should pick a focus area like vinyl or live music, but that also has its limitations.

Then, on nights like this, wearing a hoodie and listening to Aretha Franklin I just feel like writing.

This is a bit of a dead period for music. I haven't seen a concert in a few weeks even though there have been chances. Two Door Cinema Club at the Bluebird may have been an enjoyable experience. I didn't even strongly consider it though. When I went to the record store last weekend, I bought Mumford & Sons, Candy Claws, and White Stripes. Only Candy Claws could be deemed timely. Even Pitchfork hasn't found Best New Music in over a month.

Still, in a way, it is a great time to reconnect with music. The fervor of the summer, with its litany of festivals and plethora of buzz bands is distant in the rear view. Sleigh Bells already feels like nostalgia. It is a great time to appreciate the new bands and reacquaint with the standbys.

In the upcoming weeks, I will likely see Candy Claws, Toro y Moi, and Tame Impala. I plan to have a Radiohead vinyl listening party. I will try to write about my live experiences with LCD Soundsystem and Gorillaz. A lot of other things might happen too. Maybe Kanye will even release his damn record.

No comments: